Past Events: 2017 Conference Presentations
Annual Conference 2017
THEME : 60 Years On, Still Looking Forward Seriously Modelling what Matters and Building Up the Field
VENUE: London South Bank University
DATE: Wednesday 5th April and Thursday 6th April
This was the 60th anniversary of the founding of System Dynamics by Jay Forrester, who died in November 2016, leaving behind a unique and precious legacy. Our tribute, this conference, covered contemporary examples of the classic themes he first developed:
- World Dynamics
- Urban Dynamics
- Industrial Dynamics
We also covered Health Policy, which has become one of the most significant domains modelled using SD. The conference was open to all, whether or they worked in System Dynamics.
Wednesday 5 April (am): Optional Session Getting Started Building Models
Led by Kim Warren, this session gave attendees a chance to get started in modelling.
Wednesday 5 April (pm): System Dynamics and the Real World
The opening session consisted of plenary addresses covering important subjects of interest to a wide audience. Speakers included:
- Professor Aled Jones (Anglia Ruskin University) discussing System Dynamics in relation to prosperity and sustainability
- Andreas J. Harbig and Erich Alexander Voigt (Greenwood Strategic Advisors AG) on ‘Innovating and Inventing for Sustainable Cities.’ Paper.
- Jim Duggan (National University of Ireland, Galway) pandemic preparedness using spatial modelling
- Mirek Gliniecki (Strategy Simulation) strategic options in North Sea Oil industry
- Eric Wolstenholme; JW Forrester – Some memories of a man ahead of his time
Thursday 6 April (all day): Taking Stock and Developing the Field
This day was interactive, and considered System Dynamics practice and education in more depth:
- Reflections on a career in System Dynamics (Brian Dangerfield, University of Bristol)
- Exploring System Behaviour using Model Structure, hands-on session with John Hayward, University of South Wales Report.
- Round-table discussion about Education and Training in System Dynamics (led by Jennifer Morgan, University of Cardiff)
- Sarah Hafner (Anglia Ruskin); Macro- and socioeconomic impacts of a sustainable economy – A system dynamics approach to model the energy transition in the UK.
- David Pierce (Institute for Transport Studies, University of Leeds); Modelling the Economic Impacts of Inter-city Connectivity
- “John G. Boulton (Aneurin Bevan University Health Board, ABCi) Doris A. Behrens (Aneurin Bevan University Health Board, ABCi)”; Looking in the Wrong Place for RTT Improvements: A System Dynamics Study of Outpatient Management
- “Doris A. Behrens (Aneurin Bevan University Health Board, ABCi)
Jennifer S. Morgan (Cardiff University, School of Mathematics, hmc)”; Modelling the Unscheduled Care System for Aneurin Bevan University Health Board
- David Carter (Plymouth University); Research into rising CAMHS referrals following school transfer
- “Siôn Cave (Decision Analysis Services Ltd) John Peters (Blue Cat Technical) Alison Gray (Low Level Waste Repository) Martin Walkingshaw (Low Level Waste Repository)”; Simulation and analysis to support decision making in the treatment and handling of radioactive waste