The UK Chapter of the System Dynamics Society awards an annual prize for the best piece of student work in system dynamics during the latest calendar year. The Award is announced and presented at the Annual Conference, held in the early months of the following year.
Entries of up to 20 pages in total can be drawn from a dissertation for an undergraduate or postgraduate degree or a paper – whether published or not – or from a PhD (but not the full thesis itself!). We hope this prize will foster the continued growth of system dynamics in the UK among people new to the field, give public recognition to good work, and give the winner the chance to meet other workers in the field. The winner(s) will receive various benefits:
- A cheque for £250
- Free attendance at the annual UK System Dynamics Conference
- An opportunity to make a short presentation on the work at the Conference
- A commemorative certificate
The work is judged by a panel drawn from the Policy Council of the UK Chapter. The judges’ decision will be final and correspondence will not be entered into. The judges reserve the right not to make an award if in their opinion, no work of sufficient quality is submitted. In reaching their judgement, the assessors will pay attention to:
- The inherent quality of the work, taking account of the time available and the nature of the course.
- The ability to transform a problem into a genuine system dynamics framework or, alternatively, a development in the theory and methodology of system dynamics. Both qualitative and quantitative System Dynamics will be considered, provided the work is rigorous.
- The clarity of the explanation of the work.
- Evidence that the student has understood the underlying theory and principles of system dynamics, not just the intricacies of a given software tool.
Detailed academic feedback will be provided by the policy council panel. Please be aware that you retain copyright and are free to publish prize submission papers elsewhere.
To be considered for the student prize please complete the online Entry Form.
Applicants for the prize must be available to attend the Conference and present their work.
The deadline for submission to the 2019 conference is 4th March 2019.
To be considered for the student prize please complete the following form. Successful entrants will be requested to produce a detailed write-up of their work.
- To ensure a reasonably level playing field, the prize will be restricted to students who have been studying System Dynamics for LESS than five years at a British University. Their study may be in any area and the award is not restricted to courses in management science or business.
- Applicants could be undergraduates, postgraduates (Masters) or PhD candidates.
- Journal articles/ reports are acceptable if the student can justify that the effort was mainly due to their own efforts and not their supervisor. Dissertations at the Batchelor and Masters level are acceptable.
- The prize is open to students on both full and part-time courses.
The award and the cash prize will only be presented at the next annual UK system dynamics gathering, at which the winner has the chance to make a short presentation on the work.
- A letter must accompany the submission from the supervisor confirming that the project was the work of the students concerned. The supervisor must also describe the nature and duration of the course and the time available for the work so that the judges can make allowance for projects done under different circumstances.